How to avoid common mistakes with basic SEO Checklist & inter-department knowledge sharing sessions
Being actively working in Digital Marketing Industry since last 10 Years, We worked with various industry leaders in Retail, Software, Real Estate and Education sector. On daily basis we discover so many interesting inputs by industry influencer, making our life difficult to absorb all in terms of practical usage and always feel insufficient at the end of the day. Every next day begins with same old discussions. As the learning here is driven mostly by Google & Experts feedback, what is missing here is the “education to all”.
People are still debating around Keyword meta tag, how to properly use canonical tag, where to use nofollow, where to use noindex tag, common crawling issues and lot of same sort of queries?
These issues mainly arose because of lack of knowledge sharing sessions between SEO’s and others team in the organization. How can design be build without SEO inputs? How can tech team produce optimized product without knowing SEO factors? How can QA be performed if he/she is not familiar with what to check and how to check?
Same set of issue appears again and again when proper training sessions are missing across departments which ultimately result in messiness and lots of effort wasted in raising issues, round of meetings, blaming others and then finally correcting it.
The things which can be productive at first hand, results in lot of chasing at the end and thus results in loose product which start hanging in search result.
What we feel is that some very basic SEO pointers should be floated -> teach, around the concerned departments and let the energy be consumed in developing new skills, testing them and move on to next best things.
Based on same thoughts, everybody in the organization should be aware about following basic SEO things:
1. URL Structure
2. Traffic Tracking Tool (One I am considering here is Google Analytics)
3. Canonical Tags Implementation
4. Heading Tags Implementation
5. Title and Description Tag Implementation
7. All relevant Schema must be present on the page like the ones which are applicable to major traffic oriented verticals: organization, breadcrumb, review, event, article, news etc.
8. Page Load Time
9. Mobile Site Implementation.
10. Crawlability Issues
11. Checking Robots.txt
12. XML Sitemap Inclusion
13. Page must not be opened on any other sub-domain. Sometimes it has been found that with sites hosting multiple sub-domains, same url is accessible through all sub-domains and serving Google as many version of the pages as there are sub-domains on the site.
14. Image Optimization
15. Noindex Tag
16. Pagination Tags